Are you planning to put up a garden in your home today? Do you want to make sure that you are going to do all things correctly in your gardening chores? Then it’s a must that you should learn these tips in basic gardening.
Know These Tips And Start Gardening With Ease:
Gardening is a skill that can be easily learned. If you want to make sure that you are on the right track with your gardening activity, then you should follow these simple and useful gardening tips for beginners:
1. Know the basic knowledge involved in gardening plants – It is recommended that before you actually start doing the gardening tasks, you should at least make a little research about it. Know the basic factors involving gardening such as how to grow different types of plants and how to properly take care of them. Aside from that, you should be able to know the 4 basic elemental factors that help plants grow and these are water, sunlight, proper ventilation, and rich soil.
2. Decide which type of gardening you going to concentrate – There are 2 types of gardening and these are vegetable gardening and flower gardening. Vegetable gardening is perfect for homes with large garden spaces as these crops need spacing in between plants to grow healthy produce. On the other hand, flower gardening can be done in smaller homes (sometimes, indoors) and will need a more delicate attention when handling the plants.
3. Pick the right gardening spot in your residence – The first step to start your gardening activity is to select the right spot at home to start your garden. This area must be sufficient with the resources that are necessary to grow plants with. In other words, this spot must have healthy soil (that is moist and filled with nutrients needed to grow plants), should be close to water, must have enough open space to ventilate, and must be accessible to sunlight in certain periods of the day.
4. Select the type of plants you want to grow in your garden – Another important tip that you need to know is the process of choosing the right plants to grow in your garden. Of course, in some ways these is a more personal matter since we all have different preferences. Some may want choose these plants based on the look and feel they produce in the garden while others just simply want to make sure that the pick on the right plant that will survive. It is important that you at least have an idea about the plant’s qualities to help decide if these plants will be the right choice for your garden.
5. Purchasing the right tools for the job – You can buy garden tools at your local hardware or you can purchase them online (for less hassle). Aside from that, you may also need pots to grow seedlings until such time that they will have to be transferred into the main garden. Know these tools by heart and familiarize their usage so that you may be able to use them properly in taking care of you garden.
6. Lighting requirements – As mentioned, plants need sunlight to grow healthy. The rays of the sun should just be enough to make the plants healthy. Most plants require at least 6 hours of sunlight during the day so this should be well provided at all times. One way of determining if the plant is properly lit with sunlight is when its stem is standing straight. Plants that are lacking sunlight will tend to bend at the direction where the sunlight is.
7. Soil mixture requirements – Individual plants need different soil mixture to grow. Vegetable plants need soil that is rich in compost and is well fertilized. While on the other hand, flower bearing plants need a special kind of fertilizers to provide nutrients (or vitamins for plants) to help the flowers bloom beautifully.
8. Watering requirements – Water is as important to plants as it is to us humans. Every living thing on earth needs water to survive, so this should also be well provided in plants. The watering requirement differs in every plant. Some types need to be watered frequently while others can be watered even once a month. Know which kind of plants you have in your garden and you will be able to give the right amount of water to sustain their survival.
9. Pest prevention – Plant are also susceptible to harmful pest if it’s not well taken care of. If you provide the basic needs of the plants in your garden, the use of pesticides won’t be necessary. However, in certain instances where the pests have already penetrated your plants then you should use eco-friendly pesticides to control the infestation. A great way in controlling these pests is by mixing your very own homemade pesticide. Mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid soap, a cup of vegetable oil, and a cup of water. Shake well and spray the mixture into your plants after every week.
10. Additional tips – As a gardener, you also need to know the basics of pruning to maintain the shape and health of plants in your garden. Pruning is the process of cutting out the diseased areas of the plant (dried out stems, leaves, etc.) that has not grown well. This is necessary to keep the plants in great shape and ensure the balance distribution of nutrients. On the other hand, you also need to know the basics of mulching. By definition, mulching is the process of applying a layer of material to the surface of the soil to keep it moist, fertilized, reduce the possibility of weed growth, and to add visual appeal to the garden.
Have confidence in yourself and start your gardening activity the right way. Follow the basic gardening tips mentioned above and you will definitely grow your plants healthily and make your garden bloom all the way.