Water is a very important component in our life. It does not only hydrates and nourishes are body, it helps keep us live longer. Did you know that a man can survive for three days without food so as long as he has continuously drunk water? Indeed, water is a staple in our life and without it, we would physically suffer. Therefore, it is imperative that we protect our water supply, especially at home when our loved ones also drink from the same water source. One of the easiest ways to protect your home’s water supply is to use a reliable water filter. A water filter is designed to make your water cleaner and better tasting. It is then important that you know how to choose the best water filter in the market that suits your needs and preferences. In the following paragraphs, we will learn the benefits of water filter and how to buy a good one.
Benefits of Water Filter
- 1. Water filter is known for its effective removal of chlorine from the water source. Chlorine brings a lot of health issues including nose and lung irritation. Some even experiences skin irritation when exposed to the chemical for prolonged periods, more so when it’s being taken internally.
- 2. Water filter provides better tasting water because it eliminates chlorine and other chemicals including lead that might have been leached to the water source.
- 3. Water filter’s effective way of eliminating chemicals provides us with cleaner water without worrying on the possibility of contamination, especially when it’s lead contamination. Lead is one of the known causes of health woes in kidneys, stomach, and liver. In fact, lead poisoning can cause death in the long run.
- 4. Water filter deliberately reduces the drinker’s exposure to contaminants that cause colon cancer, kidney failure, and rectal and bladder cancer.
- 5. When a water filter is installed for the whole house use, you could expect drinking, bathing, cooking, and cleaning water to be clean and free of contaminants. A bathing water that’s contaminated with chlorine can cause skin issues skin irritations and skin dryness.
- 6. As water filter keeps cleaning and cooking water clean, you can be assured that not only is your drinking water clean, but also the water that’s used to clean your food, your clothes, as well as the whole house. Chlorine and other chemicals found in water can cause discoloration to clothing.
- 7. It has been shown that filtered water deliberately decreases gastrointestinal health woes, which are mostly created by giardia, amoeba, and cryptosporidium.
- 8. The children and the elderly have some of the weakest immune systems in the planet, but with the use of water filter, they are ensured that they’ll be freed from the contacts of bacteria and germs that cause cough and colds and stomach pains.
- 9. It should be known that there are over 2000 toxins found in contaminated water source, but with a reliable water filter, you are confident that these toxins won’t easily get to your body.
- 10. Experts note that chemicals in the water evaporize easily, which shows that even the steam can harm your skin when not using water filter.
There is no doubt that the use of water filter is immense and practical. It keeps us at bay from contamination, sickness, and skin irritations. Now that you’re convinced to have water filter at home, here are the tips on how to buy a good water filter particularly that they come in a number of kinds.
Kinds of Water Filters
Carbon Filters or Active Carbon – This is the most common kind of water filter simply because it’s used for pitches, faucet-mounted models, or even from the main water source. It is sometimes referred to as active charcoal because it is derived from processed coal and it is active due to its absorbing quality. This works best in eliminating lead, PCBs, chlorine, certain parasites and bacteria, specifically Giardia and Cryptosporidium, organic compounds and a small number of pharmaceuticals. It has been noted that the longer water stays in carbon filters, the better for it to sieve the contaminants. Though highly accessible and easy to use, carbon filters need to be maintained well because they can become breeding grounds of bacteria that have been stuck in its walls. Therefore, it is advisable that you check the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions for this filter and
Ultraviolet Light Sterilization – This specific water filter only kills bacteria and certain germs, but does not clean the water source from chemicals contamination. Inspired by the fact that DNA attracts UV radiation, a process that potentially kills bacteria, ultraviolet sterilization is used to weaken and eventually make the bacteria inactive. Pesticides and other potential hazardous chemicals present in the water are also repelled using this process. In this particular process, intensity of the water’s exposure to the light is important, particularly if the liquid has high level content of Manganese and Iron. Usually, the UV water filter system is in the market for above 100USD for a single water source alone, but it can cost for about a thousand dollars if you opt for a whole house filter system.
Reverse Osmosis – The most common form of water filtration for the whole household, reverse osmosis is designed for such task since it can handle large quantities of subject and does a combination of filtration processes, too. It weakens bacteria and chemicals and at the same time filters water from chlorine and germs as it is usually coupled with active carbon filters. Sadly, it wastes tons of water for each processing, which is a big con when it comes to water filtration the green way.
Distillers – Another common method, distilled water is actually water that’s been boiled and condensed to reach to desired heat to kill bacteria and germs and other contaminants in the water. Unfortunately, it’s not effective in removing chemicals and chlorine from the liquid.
You see, all of these water filtration systems are imperfect. There is not one that is capable of filtering all bacteria and germs and other contaminants and chlorine as well as all the chemicals that’s present in water. Therefore, you have to consider these factors to determine which water filtration system best suits your preferences and needs.
- 1. Determine what type of filtration you really need. As you can see, there are filters for the water source for the entire household while there are also water filters for specific water sources only.
- 2. Be reminded that a whole house filter still needs two different types of filter – one for drinking water and the other one for utility water.
- 3. Determine which particular contaminant do you want to abolish from your water system? As mentioned above, water filters are not perfect. There are those that can clean up bacteria, but not chemicals, and the other way around.
- 4. Determine your budget. Water filtration systems vary, and so are the prices for each type of water filter.
- 5. Do your own research. It is important that you do an independent and an unbiased research on your own rather than rely to what the salesmen or a water filter company has to say.
- 6. Finally, choose the kind of water filter that removes the most impurities in your water source based on your needs and preferences.