Thinking of buying an insect repellent to protect your skin from mosquito and bug bites? Maybe you should think twice before doing that because you are not really sure what are the ingredients used for making these commercial bug sprays. What’s even worse is that these sprays may contain harmful chemicals that can irritate our skin and may cause rashes. Why not be protected the natural way and that is by making your own insect repellent spray today? If you interested about this, then you should continue reading.
The Step By Step Procedures In Making A Homemade Insect Repllent:
To start the process of making your homemade repellent, here are the things you need to do:
1. Prepare the things you will need:
– ½ cup of vodka
– orange flower water (water used in soaking orange peelings)
– citronella oil
– jojoba oil (optional)
– liquid vitamin E (optional)
– saucepan for heating the ingredients
2. Mix together the ½ cup of vodka and the orange flower water in the saucepan and heat it for about 2 to 3 minutes in low heat. Remove the contents of the saucepan after heating and set it aside for cooling.
3. Once the mixture has cooled off, slowly add the citronella oil and mix it using the wooden spoon. Continue mixing until the oil has completely diluted into the whole mixture.
4. Then add the jojoba oil and the liquid vitamin E also by mixing it using the wooden spoon. The last 2 ingredients serve as the moisturizing component of the repellent since jojoba oil is often used to moisturize the skin and the vitamin E revitalizes the skin by removing off the dead skin cells.
5. Once the whole mixture is complete, transfer the contents into a spray bottle and use it as often as possible. Spray generously all over your body whenever you go outside and spray a little when you usually stay indoors.
Other Homemade Repellent Alternatives:
If you are not fond of spraying insect repellents all over your body, there is still another solution to this to keep you protected and that is by making a citronella band or citronella belt. Here are the things you will need for this project:
– silicon rubber band or silicon belt (you can buy this in selected toy shops and specialty stores)
– citronella oil
– large bowl
What to do: Pour the citronella oil into the large bowl then soak the silicon belt or silicon rubber. Set it aside overnight. Remove the belt or rubber band, wipe off the excess oil, and then wear it as often as possible. This will protect you from insects up to 1 month.
The citronella oil is considered as nature’s insect repellent. Some plants secrete this oil to protect them from harmful insects that might harm them. Aside from that, its strong flowery smell acts as a natural perfume. That’s why it’s suitable to be used by humans.
All in all, you have to buy commercial repellents for there are natural alternatives you can use which are really easy to do. Just follow the procedure in making homemade insect repellents mentioned above and you can be assured of having a better insect protection which is safe and free from chemicals and preservatives.